"From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another." John 1:16

Friday, January 17, 2014

Putting things first


I believe in past January post I have announced my new year's resolutions. My resolutions were more like a list of things I planned on doing throughout the coming year, not really things that I wanted to change about myself. After 35 years, I have learned changing who I am is a job only for one...God. So this year I thought about the things we wanted to overcome, challenge, and accomplish. I didn't want to make just another list, but I did want to do something to look back and ponder on. So I thought "what about a theme for the year?" A theme that is something we can remember and say that is simply, yet complicated. I mentioned this to Brian, and he just looked at me like "okay". So I have spent the last week in a half contemplating on my own. This month our Sunday school has started a series called "the time of your life" -by Andy Stanley. To learn more about this series go here .

This series is obviously about our time, and what we choose to do with our time. It makes us consider all the things in our life that we do and what priority we put on each of those things. I am the first to admit that my days our FULL to capacity, and there is no more room for anything in my day. Brian is the same way. We are fully accepting of this crazy ride, we call our life, but are there things in our days that we could do without? I treasure my time, probably more than I treasure my money! So what do I believe about having a treasure?
"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." - Matthew 6:21
How true is that???? After all I can make more money, but I can't make more time, it's here then it's gone....... So what I choose to put first in my life is crucial to successfully gaining all I want in my short time on this earth. So what do I want for my life? Everything, really. How will I get that? By putting the things that matter the most first. If I have God first then.... "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." -Matthew 19:26. So without further a do the theme for us this year is Putting things first!
I want to put the things that matter the most first, I want to give God the first few moments of each day. I want to give Brian and the kids more of my time, not just more of me..... I have to do other things, yes I know. We have crazy busy schedules, but we can sort-of see the light at the end of the tunnel now. Brian graduates in just 6 months, me in 11 months. Finishing graduate school has consumed both of us for the last two years, and we have managed to hang in there and tough it out. The main force behind finishing this goal is to have a better life for our family, working closer to home, less hours, no holidays, hopefully very little weekends and being together every night at the dinner table. These are the things that matter the most.
I'm excited to see how having the mindset Putting things first will keep us both in check this year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment